2007-03-09

In the beginning...

Everyone seems to be doing blogs and because - to quote Oscar Wilde - it is a very sad thing nowadays there is so little useless information I thought I'd join in! So let us begin like we mean to continue with a ...

Rant
I hate 4x4's. No if's, or's or but's I detest them and the people who drive them. Ok not everyone - some people have a perfectly valid reason for owning a 4x4 - farmers, builders, individuals who need them to pull heavy loads (horse boxes for example) - but in general most do not have valid reasons.

What brings this up? Well picture the scene I am happily driving along the road. On the opposite side is parked a big (I mean HUGE) 4x4 pickup, blocking most of that side of the road. Coming along that side towards me is another 4x4. The woman driving this 4x4 edges out to go past the idle monstrousity - I however have right of way. Now for me and her to pass simultaneously I would have to go right over into the gutter, something I prefer not to do. From her perspective I think this was unexpected. Due to the intimidating size of her car I believe she thought I would move - but I know how David and Goliath ended. She ended up having to stop. She was not amused, feeling generous I indicated to her car suggesting it was very big and shrugged my shoulders by way of an apology. This did not help, she scowled and mouthed something unfriendly - perhaps she thought I was making reference to the size of her arse. Naturally all this occured in a few seconds during which time I also noticed she was alone in her big spacious 4x4. So question: Why should I have to move over into the gutter, just because you have a big car and can not fit where a normal one could? Question 2: Where are you going alone that requires such a large car?

My solution is quite simple - people should have to supply a reason for buying a vehicle: because I want one does not count; because I define myself by my material possession due to my weak ego does not count either (that would be a mental deficiency on your part - I suggest therapy as a solution); because I want to take my kids to school safely ... no this does not cut the mustard either a Ford Focus would be just as safe (in fact in my experience safer because less morons like you would be driving 4x4's).

Oh... but... but... we live in a free society we can do what we want... Can we? I mean I can't just put you out of your misery can I?

Living in a free society is not about doing what we want, it's about being socially responsible - of which not consuming more than you need is part. We have to learn to take responsibility for our decisions and make those decisions for a valid reason:

Living half-way up a mountain, having to drive over boggy fields to get to your livestock, having to carry bricks and wood these are all necessary preconditions to owning a 4x4. Driving your kids 5 minutes along the road or boosting your ego are not.

Yes, but who decideds what are valid reasons? Perhaps driving your kids to school safely is a valid reason as far as you are concerned? Well here we get to the real debate - I would argue that a 4x4 is not necessary to solve that problem.

Fun
Sewer Run 2 (Shockwave required)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home